|Ph.D.- Mathematics, Physics and Informatics|
Scope and form:
Lectures presented by guests on topics in contemporary physics, and presentations by the students (one presentation each).
Duration of Course:
Date of examination:
|Decide with teacher
Type of assessment:
General course objectives:
To give the students knowledge about subjects in modern physics.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- Prepare pedagogical slides for a digital presentation of a scientific subject.
- Quickly make himself/herself acquainted with scientific papers in different areas of modern physics.
- Give a pedagogical presentation of other peoples' scientific work.
- Observe time limits at an oral presentation.
- Evaluate and give constructive criticism of presentations given by others.
- Formulate good questions in English to lectures within a broad range of subjects within modern physics .
- Prepare a summary report on a selected topic for a non expert audience - discuss the future impact of these new research result.
The course covers a wide range of subjects in the field of solid-state physics, optics, non-linear dynamics, and biophysics. The purpose of the course is to ensure that the Ph.D.-students in physics are well-informed in all areas of physics, also the areas they do not specialize in. The specific content of the course changes from semester to semester depending on the teachers and guests participating in the course and also depending on the interests of the participating students. During the course the student should prepare and give one presentation on a selected topic and additionally write a summary report (about 5 pages) on a different topic including a discussion of the future impact of this particular topic. It is expected that the students prepare themselves for each of the presentations by reading background material.
For each student a minimum of 80% presence is mandatory.
The course is obligatory for ph.d. students matriculated at DTU Physics.
|, 129, 107-108, (+45) 4677 4537,
, 307, 060, (+45) 4525 3276,
|10 Department of Physics|
Registration Sign up:
|Solid-state physics, optics, non-linear dynamics, biophysics.|
November 1, 2012|
See course in DTU Course base